Forever experimenting, I have my fair share of recipe failures, but it’s a great day when an apparent failure turns into a tasty recipe worth repeating.
Looking to make a low-carb trout patty, I knew my batter was lacking in consistency. Thinking the patties would come together during the pan fry, I was frustrated when they all fell apart. They were, however, a lovely golden brown and once they were all flipped, started to resemble scrambled eggs.
Taking a taste from the pan, I knew my family would love this, especially when topped with the Avocado Mint Cream I had already blended up. What resulted was this trout scramble, and I was lucky to get a photo because when I turned around the plate had been cleaned. Success!
This recipe also works great with any smaller bits of salmon, steelhead, halibut or cod.
- 1 cup raw trout
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond meal/flour
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced dill pickle
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- Remove any skin and bones from trout and chop into small chunks.
- In a medium bowl, mix egg, almond meal/flour, mayonnaise, pickle and mustard.
- Gently fold in trout and stir until thoroughly combined.
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high heat.
- Drop spoonfuls of trout mixture into the hot skillet, leaving at least 1/4” between “cakes”.
- Once golden brown, flip cakes, not worrying if they fall apart but trying to keep them bite-sized.
- Cook the other side until golden brown and serve immediately with Avocado Mint Cream.
Avocado Mint Cream Ingredients:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4-1/2 cup cold water
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Add water to reach desired consistency and serve immediately.
Note: For signed copies of Tiffany’s popular book, Cooking Seafood, and other best-sell-ing titles, visit www.tiffanyhaugen.com.